Is there a particular dataset you need to conduct your research that is not available at JHU? Apply for a JHU Libraries Data Grant and, contingent on eligibility and availability, you will receive access to the data you need!
Awards will be made on a competitive basis during the following grant period:
July 1st – September 30th. Notification of award by December 15th.
All applications submitted outside of this period will still be considered on a rolling basis, with priority given to applications received during the grant periods, so please apply!
You must be a Johns Hopkins University affiliated faculty, student, or staff actively conducting research.
- Only data that can be licensed campus-wide will be considered.
- The library strongly prefers to acquire data that is accessible online over physical media such as a DVD. This ensures the data is accessible to all Hopkins affiliates, regardless of physical location.
- The Data Grant only supports one-time purchases of data. If data requires a subscription model, the Data Grant will cover the cost of the subscription for one year.
- The Data Grant will not support the purchase of restricted data.
Award numbers and amounts will vary depending on the need and availability of funds. Selections are based on data cost, availability of funds, and perceived usefulness of the dataset for JHU at large.
Terms and Conditions
Successfully funded applicants to the JHU Libraries Data Grant may be asked to give a short brown-bag style presentation about how they used their acquired data. By submitting a Data Grant application, applicants consent to these requirements.
How to Apply
Please submit your application online. The application requires a description of your research project, the dataset of interest, and the anticipated impact of acquiring the dataset for JHU at large.
The upcoming Data Grant cycle is July 1st – September 30th, 2021.
- We will start reviewing applications on October 1st, 2021.
- You will be notified of our decision by December 15th, 2021.
- Purchased data will be made available to awardees by the end of the fiscal year, June 30th 2022.