The Sheridan Libraries Special Collections has an amazing collection of vintage games and toys, and we absolutely love coming up with fun events featuring these amusements, like our recent Women’s History Month Vintage Game Night. But how do we continue to share such delightful objects with you while we are all staying safe at home? How about with an Instagram vintage toy challenge!
Special Collections recently acquired a charming set of instructional toymaker cards created by the illustrator Kate Angus. The cards most likely date to the early 1930s and were meant to provide children with afternoons of fun by making toys from common and inexpensive household objects. Since we all could use a bit of whimsy in our lives right now, we would like to invite you to participate in our #JHUMakesToys Challenge!
Interested in becoming a vintage toymaker? Here’s the scoop:
- Follow @jhuspecialcollections to see the challenges as soon as they are released.
- Tag your photo with #JHUMakesToys.
- Challenges will be announced weekly on Fridays from April 3 through May 8.
- Each week shall be a new chance for internet fame and glory!
- Please note that we may share your wonderful creations on Johns Hopkins social media channels.
Still wondering if this challenge is for you? Well, wonder no more because our very first challenge is to create a Viking ship!