question marks#2. The library doesn’t have what I want, what do I do?

We hope this doesn’t happen too often, but we know that, occasionally, we don’t have the book on Peruvian constitutional reform or the journal article on Emily Bronte’s relationship with her pet mastiff, Keeper, that you need.

Don’t fear! You have a few options:

a.) Order what you want through InterLibrary Loan.

Interlibrary Services (ILS) provides patrons access to materials not owned by MSEL. They will contact other libraries to borrow books or have articles delivered directly to you via the internet or snail mail. Pretty useful, eh?

In some cases you may even be able to borrow movies, microform, and dissertations, although other libraries often will not circulate these items.

All current faculty, students, and staff with a JHU library card are eligible for free, unlimiteduse of Interlibrary Services. Some Eisenhower Library affiliates have limited ILS privileges (restricted to items held at other JHU libraries only), including alumni who have paid the annual library fee as well as spouses, same-sex partners, and dependents of current JHU faculty, staff, and students.

To order, go to the ILS webpage, register as a first time user, and fill out one of their InterLibrary Loan forms.

b.) Fill out a request form.

We love getting suggestions for ways to improve the library collection, so send those requests in!

c.) Contact your MSEL subject librarian and ask that s/he purchase it for the collection.

Despite the lore, MSEL subject librarians don’t bite. In fact we like hearing from you. If it means we help you get what you need, when you need it, well … that’s even better. Dash a quick email off to the appropriate subject librarian with the information on the book you’d like purchased.

It’s that easy!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.