This fall, join JHU Data Services in a new talk series, Data Bytes! Data Bytes are short data-related talks, hosted by Data Services, and offered during lunch from 12 to 1 pm on Mondays. Come join us (virtually) and learn something new! Talks are lecture or demonstration based, so you can eat your lunch and learn something new! This fall the Data Bytes topics are centered around programming and GIS. Each semester a new theme will be introduced, so keep an eye out!
Data Bytes Fall 2022 Schedule
- Finding Maps and Map Data (9/12/2022, 12:00pm – 1:00pm) – Register
- Come to our inaugural Data Bytes virtual lunch and learn workshop series, where Geospatial Data, GIS, and Maps Librarian Lena Denis will demonstrate how to find maps, both physical and digital, as well as how to discover and leverage map-associated geospatial data.
- Choosing a Python IDE (9/19/2022, 12:00pm – 1:00pm) – Register
- Integrated development environments (IDEs) are a useful and often critical component in a programmer’s workflow. Join JHU Data Services in this one-hour session, which will introduce IDEs — what they are and why one might use them, and end with demonstrating several popular IDEs for Python programming. We’ll cover a range of options and features, from simple text editors to debuggers and plug-ins, to help you determine what may work best for you and why. This workshop is open to Python programmers of all levels.
- Creating Infographics in Business Analyst (9/26/2022, 12:00pm – 1:00pm) – Register
- ArcGIS Business Analyst includes over 15,000 data variables, providing you with an easy way to access demographic, consumer spending, market potential, business summary data and more for your research study area. In this Data Bytes session, learn how to access these datasets and generate custom infographics and reports through the ArcGIS Business Analyst web platform.
- Debugging your Python Code (10/3/2022, 12:00pm – 1:00pm) – Register
- There is nothing more frustrating than when your code does not run as expected, or completely fails to run! Python offers a number of ways to “debug” your code, and understand what went wrong and how to fix it. Join Data Services for this Data Bytes session for some tips and tools on how to debug your own Python programs.
- Speeding up your Python Code (10/10/2022, 12:00pm – 1:00pm) – Register
- Come to this Data Bytes session to learn tips for speeding up your Python code. We will cover both built in methods and data structures that you can use to speed up your code, as well as more advanced techniques using different Python libraries.
- Introduction to Leaflet (10/17/2022, 12:00pm – 1:00pm) – Register
- Advanced StoryMaps Tips and Tricks (10/24/2022, 12:00pm – 1:00pm) – Register
- Introduction to APIs in R (10/31/2022, 12:00pm – 1:00pm) – Register
- Heard about Application Programming Interfaces (APIs), but don’t know exactly what they are or how to use them? Join Data Services in this Data Bytes session as we cover a powerful tool for researchers to access and acquire data. This presentation will introduce APIs and cover how to make API requests in R.
View the schedule for all Data Services workshops