If you believe, as I do, that the best things in life are free, then you’re going to love the Book Thing. Located at 3001 Vineyard Lane, just a block and a half south of the 32nd Street Farmers Market (Hello, samples!), this neighborhood gem is a warehouse full of free books. That’s right, FREE!
With no limit to the amount you can take, stock up on all your favorites in fiction, nonfiction, magazines and miscellany. If you’re still on the hunt for textbooks, this stop is well worth your time. And if your shelves overfloweth, they’re always accepting donations.
But the library is a penny-pincher’s ultimate dream. And if you think all we’ve got is books, think again. Here are a few of our favorite freebies:
- DVDs – Visit the McNaughton shelves for new releases, then swing by the AV Center on A-level for everything from old stand-bys to award winners
- Audiobooks – Scan our databases and catalog before your next roadtrip
- WiFi – Bring your laptops to enjoy our high-speed connection
- Earplugs – When the BLC construction or that aggressive typer becomes unbearable, stop by Circulation for your free pair
- Coffee – Come to one of our “What’s New” workshops to learn about recent acquisitions in your field and enjoy free coffee, courtesy of the Friends of the Library
Have any other thrifty Baltimore tips? Please share below.