In the mood for holiday music? The library has several streaming music services that include a wide variety of holiday music.
Choose an appropriate database and search for your preferred holiday suites, carols, and songs. It’s easy to find the Nutcracker Suite and Christmas carols. Let us know in the comments if you find your favorite holiday music!
- Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall – Digital Concert Hall provides streaming video of both pre-recorded and live concerts by the Berlin Philharmonic, along with other content such as interviews with composers and conductors. Requires establishing a personal account and login. Access is for 5 concurrent concert streams.
- DRAM Online – Currently DRAM’s collection contains more than 3,000 albums worth of recordings from a distinctive set of 26 independent labels, and we are continually working to add more content. The basis for the current collection is the diverse catalogue of American music recordings by New World Records. From folk to opera, Native American to jazz, 19th century classical to early rock, musical theater, contemporary, electronic and beyond, New World has served composers, artists, students and the general public since its inception in 1975 with a grant from the Rockefeller Foundation.
- Medici.tv – Offers free live broadcasting of concerts, operas and ballets along with video on demand from their catalogue of concerts and classical music documentaries. With over 1,200 films, medici.tv is the largest online catalogue made up of classical music programmes and it features the greatest artists and composers. medici.tv also associates with great orchestras and concert halls around the world in order to broadcast live and free of charge some of the greatest musical events on the internet, mobiles, tablets and connected TVs.
- Music Online: American Music – American Song is a history database that allows people to hear and feel the music from America’s past.The database includes songs by and about American Indians, miners, immigrants, slaves, children, pioneers, and cowboys. Included in the database are the songs of Civil Rights, political campaigns, Prohibition, the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, anti-war protests, and more.
- Music Online: Classical Music Library – A fully searchable classical music resource—a comprehensive database of distinguished classical recordings. It includes tens of thousands of licensed recordings that users can listen to over the Internet. The audio selections are cross-referenced to a database of supplementary reference information. Users browse, search, click, and then listen to the music through their headphones.
- Music Online: Opera in Video – This database will contain 250 of the most important opera performances, captured on video through staged productions, interviews, and documentaries. Selections represent the world’s best performers, conductors, and opera houses and are based on a work’s importance to the operatic canon.
- Naxos Music Library – Naxos Music Library is the most comprehensive collection of classical music available online. It includes the complete Naxos, Marco Polo and Da Capo catalogues of over 75,000 tracks, including Classical music, Historical recordings, Jazz, World, Folk and Chinese music. Whilst listening, users can read notes on the works being played as well as biographical information on composers or artists in Naxos’s extensive database. If you’re interested in jazz you can go directly to that section: Naxos Music Library: Jazz.
- Smithsonian Global Sound for Libraries – This database is a virtual encyclopedia of the world’s musical and aural traditions. The collection provides educators, students, and interested listeners with an unprecedented variety of online resources that support the creation, continuity, and preservation of diverse musical forms.