It’s been an astonishing year in digital publishing!
What’s happening behind the scenes of those appealing e-books on your new e-reader? Look at events occurring right this minute in the chaotic world of reading:
- Authors and publishers are arguing — “What do you mean, you pay authors only a 25% royalty? My book is priced at only 99 cents!”
- Publishers are suing each other — “Hold it. You can’t publish that book as an e-book.” “Oh yes I can.”
- E-book publisher pricing tactics are being investigated — Is Apple getting commissions from publishers over e-book pricing for iPad? Is that illegal? The Justice Department will let you know.
- Authors are bypassing publishers (or are they?) because it’s the “age of self-publishing” — But authors must now deal with editing, formatting, cover art, metadata, and marketing by themselves.
- Publishers are thinking up new ways to steer the money back toward themselves — *Charging* patrons to borrow public library books will make it more inconvenient to borrow from the library instead of buying from the publishers.
But changing times = new ideas, too!
- Hybrid Books — Use the QR code on the print book to access extra material about the book, including gorgeous color images that would be too expensive to print
- Make the print books really beautiful — One new direction for publishers is creating books that are also art objects
- Tell your friends! — Now there are many, many ways to tell the world about books you liked (e.g., the Goodreads app, which works with most e-devices). The more people you tell, the happier you will make the entire reading community!